Julie Wanza’s death, after a seemingly uncomplicated surgery, has shocked many people, especially women, who increasingly have sought larger breasts.
The procedure was carried out by an unidentified surgeon at his clinic at the Galleria Shopping Mall last week.
Wanza was discharged but developed severe abdominal pain that worsened.
She went to Nairobi Hospital for review on Wednesday and was immediately admitted to the High Dependency Unit, then the ICU.
Doctors realised that her intestines had been cut or punctured in the first surgery, apparently a fat transfer augmentation. Her blood pressure was dangerously low.
Wanza's family wants to know exactly how she died.
"Because her intestines were cut, all the waste was seeping out and spreading inside the stomach. That caused an infection called sepsis. Doctors battled to save her life on Friday but she died from the infection," a family member yesterday told the Star.
Wanza is to be buried on Saturday. The family requested time to grieve before they divulge more information.
"We are having the postmortem tomorrow [today]. Allow us to finish that process," they said through lawyer Jared Orare.
A source yesterday revealed to the Star that Wanza’s intestine had been severed, and waste had spilled into her abdominal cavity — the cause of the acute pains.
She developed sepsis, an infection that takes effect when the body’s immune system releases chemicals into the bloodstream to fight an infection.
Kenya Medical Association chairperson Jacqueline Kitulu had not commented on the matter by press time.
A team of doctors, led by Prof Stanley Khainga, frantically attended to Wanza.
Last evening, Khainga told the Star he was called in as a corrective surgeon after Wanza was admitted to Nairobi Hospital.
The surgeon said the patient had also developed gas gangrene, likely from the incisions made during the surgery. Khainga said the infection usually spreads quickly.