Liverpool produce one of the greatest comebacks to drown Barcelona

Liverpool produced one of the greatest Champions League comebacks in history by overturning a three-goal first-leg deficit to beat Barcelona 4-3 on aggregate and reach the final.

Kompany gives City vital win over Leicester to leapfrog Liverpool

The Belgian striker quickly reacted to a brilliant corner from Trent Alexander-Arnold to complete a spectacular comeback

After Barcelona won the first leg 3-0 at the Nou Camp a week ago, few gave Liverpool a chance of scoring the goals they needed to progress, let alone preventing the La Liga champions from scoring themselves.

However, Divock Origi opened the floodgates in the first half and come second half, Georginio Wijnaldum scored two quick goals to level the match. three all in aggregate.

The second-half substitute rose highest to head in his second goal just minutes after scoring his first for the hosts

Origi completed a remarkable victory for Liverpool when he swept Trent Alexander-Arnold’s low corner into the back of the net late on.

Meanwhile, Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp, Mauricio Pochettino and Nuno Santo have been nominated for the Premier League’s manager of the season award.

Manchester City boss Guardiola could become only the third manager to retain the Premier League title after Sir Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho as his side bid to win an unprecedented domestic treble.

The 28-year-old latched on to a cross to put his shot low and hard past Barcelona's German goalkeeper

The Spaniard is being pushed hard for the title by Klopp with Liverpool already reaching the fourth-best points total of any team in a single PL season with one game to go.

Nuno has guided Wolves to a seventh-place finish and potential European qualification in their first season back in the Premier League.

Ter Stegen is unable to keep the ball out as Wijnaldum scores Liverpool's second goal to send fans into a frenzy

‘We know where we can hurt them’: Pogba believes United can still knock Barcelona out 

Paul Pogba believes Manchester United can hurt Barcelona as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side again look to overcome an Old Trafford loss in the Champions League.

Having last month recovered from a two-goal home defeat in stunning fashion at PSG, the Red Devils head to Spain next Tuesday looking to overturn a 1-0 deficit in the quarter-finals.

Luke Shaw’s own goal from a Luis Suarez header was the difference at Old Trafford, where United failed to muster a shot on target but largely shackled Barca’s glut of attacking options.

Solskjaer’s men face an uphill battle at the Nou Camp, but Pogba takes encouragement from Barcelona’s limited display at Old Trafford.

‘I think it was a good game,’ the World Cup-winning midfielder said.

Paul Pogba in action for Manchester United against Barcelona on Wednesday evening

‘Obviously we were playing against Barcelona, one of the best teams in the world, but we gave them some problems as well.

‘They give us them some problems, but we know where we can hurt them.

Winning at the Nou Camp will be a tough ask, but Pogba said the PSG comeback breeds positivity.

‘Probably Paris will be in their minds for sure because they saw what we can do against PSG,’ he said.

‘Obviously they will be comfortable on their own pitch but let us see. We’ll see what happens at the end.

‘I think maybe the chances that we get we have to put them in and be careful.

‘They didn’t have really a lot of chances. Maybe one when David (de Gea) made a great save but then after that they were not that dangerous, not a lot of chances.

‘So, try to avoid this and be a killer in front. That’s it.’

-Dailymail

Watatoboa? Man United handed Barcelona as Man City face Tottenham in UCL Quarters

Manchester City and Tottenham have been paired together in an all-English Champions League quarter-final.

Manchester United have been paired with Barcelona, while Liverpool will take on Porto in the last eight.

Ajax and Juventus meet in the other tie.

The first legs will be played on April 9 and 10, the second legs on April 16 and 17.

United will play the first leg of their tie at Old Trafford because they both them and City cannot play in Manchester on the same evening.

Tottenham and Manchester City have been drawn together in the Champions League quarter-finals, as Manchester United take on Barcelona and Liverpool play Porto

The winner of the all-English quarter-final will take on either Ajax or Juventus in the semi-final, the draw for which was also made at UEFA’s headquarters in Nyon on Friday.

Meanwhile, Manchester United are on a semi-final collision course with bitter rivals Liverpool if they both progress.

With four Premier League sides in the last eight for the first time since 2009, the probability of two of them meeting was high.

League leaders City will have to overcome the stubborn test of Spurs if they are to keep their hopes of winning an unprecedented Quadruple of trophies alive.

City beat Spurs 1-0 at Wembley in the league back in October and the two sides are set to meet again the weekend after the second leg.

-Dailymail

Chelsea plot summer swoop for Barcelona star Ivan Rakitic

There may be two days left until the end of the January transfer deadline looms, but Chelsea are already planning their shopping for the summer window.

And according to Spanish outlet Sport, the Blues have pinpointed Barcelona’s Ivan Rakitic as one ideal addition.

The front cover of their publication on Tuesday leads with this story – stating that Chelsea are ready to negotiate with Barca over the possible signing.

Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic is wanted by Chelsea, according to Spanish paper Sport

However, they report that the midfielder would prefer to remain at the Nou Camp – despite the imminent £65million acquisition Frenkie de Jong from Ajax.

Speaking about his future recently, Rakitic made it clear that he wishes to stay in Catalonia.

‘If I am here [at Barcelona], it’s to play,’ he said.

‘If anything has to change, we will speak. I have a lot of confidence. I know what I can give. I know who I am.

‘I want to be here and, if I can renew, to be here for even more years. I am really happy here, everyone knows it, above all the president. I have nothing else to say.

‘I am 30 and I am in the best moment of my career. I want to enjoy football and enjoy Barca.’

Barcelona seal shock loan signing Ghanaian forward, Kevin Prince Boateng

Barcelona have confirmed the shock signing of the January transfer window so far with former Tottenham and Portsmouth forward Kevin-Prince Boateng joining on loan until the end of the season.

The club have brought the striker in to replace Munir El Haddadi who moved to Sevilla two weeks ago.

They looked at a host of attackers but after ruling out Fernando Llorente, Alvaro Morata, Olivier Giroud and former Middlesbrough forward Cristhian Stuani they moved for the Ghanaian international.

The 31-year-old said goodbye to team-mates at Italian club Sassuolo on Monday morning and jetted into Barcelona ahead of his presentation on Tuesday.

As is customary, Boateng was revealed through a snappy announcement video featuring Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Gerard Pique.

A notification pings up on the screen before a kit is laid out and a message declaring: ‘Wilkommen Kevin-Prince! Enjoy football, enjoy Barca!’ before ending on a photo of the new man in a Barcelona kit.

The Ghana international has signed a loan deal until the end of the season with option to buy

A statement from Barcelona on Monday said: ‘Barcelona and Sassuolo have reached an agreement for the loan of Kevin Prince-Boateng for the remainder of the 2018-19 season. The deal includes the option to buy the player for 8m euros (£7.1m).’

Barcelona are understood to have paid 2 million euros (£1.76m) for the loan and will present Boateng to supporters on Wednesday.

The Ghana international fits the requirements of coach Ernesto Valverde who wanted someone with La Liga experience.

He has scored goals in four different leagues including Spain, Germany, Italy and England.

He has scored five goals in 15 games at Sassuolo in all competitions this season playing in a false nine position that Barcelona will want to use him when Suarez is resting.

The player could debut on Wednesday when Barcelona play their first-leg Copa del Rey quarter-final against Sevilla.

-Dailymail

Barcelona ready to launch £50m player-plus cash bid for Willian as Malcom set to go the other way

Barcelona have launched a new player-plus cash bid worth £50million for Chelsea midfielder Willian.

The Spanish side are willing to offer Brazilian winger Malcom plus cash for Willian who saw a proposed move to Barcelona fall through last year.

Malcom cost £38million from Bordeaux last summer but has failed to live up to his potential and is being courted by clubs across Europe.

Barcelona bought the 21-year-old after being rebuffed three times in their efforts to prise Willian from Chelsea.

Chelsea rejected offers going up to £65million in July but could be tempted this time as Willian has turned 30 and has 18 months left on contract.

Maurizio Sarri is eager to strengthen rather than lose too many key players but knows Chelsea want to lower the age of their squad.

Chelsea are loathe to let Callum Hudson-Odoi join Bayern Munich but 31-year-old Cesc Fabregas is primed to join Monaco and a big offer for Willian could prove tempting this time.

The skilful winger also has interest from China with Dalian Yifang prepared to offer him a lucrative deal to go there but Barcelona would be his dream move.

Chelsea may decide that the overall £50m deal is not enough as Malcom has failed to impress so far on the big stage and could demand a straight cash offer as negotiations begin.

Leo Messi ruled out for three weeks and will miss El Classico

– Lionel Messi fell badly after a clash with Sevilla’s Franco Vazquez on Saturday

– Messi was concerned by the injury and had heavy bandaging around his elbow

– Barcelona play Real Madrid in the league next weekend and Messi is out of game

mess i injury 4

Lionel Messi will miss next Sunday’s Clasico against Real Madrid after fracturing a bone in his right arm.

Barcelona confirmed the news on Saturday night after their 4-2 win over Sevilla.

‘It’s an important loss and we have some difficult rivals to face but we have the players to come in,’ said Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde.

‘There are games when he has not played from the start and we have played with the same way. We have to stay focused on the important games that we have.’

Messi was taken off in the first half after falling on his right arm after a clash with Sevilla’s Franco Vazquez.

messi injury 3

The Barca bench seemed not to be worried by the injury and Ousmane Dembele took an age to warm up. But Messi was clearly more concerned and soon there was heaving bandaging being wrapped around his elbow.

Messi was taken to the clinic at Barcelona’s training ground and the club were hopeful that the injury was nothing more than a ‘hyper-extension’ around his right elbow.

But they later confirmed a fracture that would keep him out for three weeks. As well as the league game against Real Madrid he misses this week’s Champions League clash with Inter. Barcelona are due to play Tottenham on December 11.

messi injury 5

Dailymail

Barcelona make record-breaking £111MILLION from transfer clear-out

For Barcelona, despite the arrivals of Malcom and Arturo Vidal this summer was all about balancing the books and having a clear-out.

With nine departing the Nou Camp – six for a fee – the club made a record breaking €124million (£111m) from sales. The most they have ever earned from outgoings in one window.

The Premier League proved a successful selling spot as Watford winger Gerard Deulofeu (£13m) was joined by Lucas Digne (£18m), Yerry Mina (£28.5m) and Andre Gomes (£2m, loan) all of which joined Everton.

Making up the rest of the record returns was Aleix Vidal who joined Sevilla for £7.6m and Brazilian midfielder Paulinho who made a £50m return to China with Guangzhou Evergrande.

The Catalan giants have spent big in recent summers with Ousmane Dembele and Philippe Coutinho both requiring outlays of more than £100m and so a sort out was required by Ernesto Valverde.

Another factor, particularly in the case of Mina and Paulinho’s sales, was that the club are only allowed three non-EU players in their squad and they needed to make room new faces Malcom, Arthur and Vidal.

-Dailymail

World cup winner, Pogba tells United he’s desperate to leave for Barcelona

Paul Pogba has told his Manchester United team-mates that he is desperate to leave Old Trafford for Barcelona.

Pogba has made it known to players and staff in the last 48 hours that he wants to be sold, two years after rejoining United from Juventus in a then world record £89million deal.

The 25-year-old France midfielder is also understood to have sent a text message to Ed Woodward, informing United’s executive vice-chairman of his desire to go, although the club flatly deny this.

United maintain that Pogba is not for sale, just two days before Jose Mourinho’s side kick off the season at home to Leicester. They would have little chance of signing a replacement before the transfer window closes in England at 5pm on Thursday.

They are now faced with the prospect of keeping an unhappy player, who is set to earn a basic wage of £9.62m this season, plus a £3.78m loyalty bonus, or grant Pogba’s wish and open negotiations with Barcelona. The Spanish transfer deadline is not until the end of this month.

It’s understood that Pogba has agreed terms with the Catalan giants on a deal worth £89.5m over five years — a basic salary of £18m equivalent to £346,000 a week — through his agent Mino Raiola and that he has his heart set on a move to the Nou Camp.

Raiola declined to comment on the situation when contacted on Tuesday, saying: ‘I will never make declarations about Paul. You have to speak to Manchester United.’

It’s understood that Pogba wants to play in Spain with Lionel Messi and his old Juventus team-mate Arturo Vidal, who joined Barcelona last week.

He has become disillusioned with life at United under Mourinho after the relationship between the two men deteriorated rapidly last season.

-Dailymail

‘I’m very happy at Chelsea and living in London’: Willian reaffirms commitment amid Barca interest

Chelsea winger Willian has reaffirmed his commitment to the club this week, despite ongoing transfer links with Manchester United and Barcelona.

The 29-year-old has been subject of much interest this summer, with United boss Jose Mourinho believed to be keen for a reunion with his former player at Old Trafford.

Chelsea turned down multiple bids from Spanish giants Barca for his services, and now Willian has added some clarity by speaking of his happiness at the club and life in London.

Speaking this week to Globo Esporte, Willian was forthcoming when asked if he would be moving on from the Blues.

‘[Leaving?] No, I’m back to England. I’m very happy at Chelsea,’ said the forward.

‘I’m very happy living in London.’

The Brazilian looked poised for the Stamford Bridge exit door following the conclusion of last season, after an apparent rift with then manager Antonio Conte.

Willian caused a stir after uploading a team photo online but specifically erasing Conte with the use of trophy emojis.

The Italian boss has since departed English football, meaning Willian is set for a new era under new manager Maurizio Sarri.

-Dailymail