Oginga-Odinga varsity closed after students unrest over botched elections

Photo source: magazinereel.com

Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University was on Saturday closed indefinitely after students went on rampage over botched students’ elections.

The students who engaged the police in running battles for the better part of the night barricaded Bondo-Usenge road, pelting stones and smashing any vehicle that came their way.

A vehicle was burnt and property worth millions of shillings destroyed in Bondo town during the incident,

The university’s Senate, through a memo, said it had become impossible to continue normal university activities at the main campus in Bondo.

The situation worsened after a group of the rioting students a few students who had gone back to the main campus, broke into and looted the college canteen before setting on fire one of the lecturer’s vehicle.

Read more: http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/oginga-odinga-university-closed-after-students-cause-mayhem-over-botched-elections

ODM Condemns Dandora Poll Violence

People gather around the burnt ODM office in Dandora. | image source: the-star.co.ke

ODM has condemned the violence in Dandora on Sunday and blamed police for abdicating their duties.

The violence resulted in the death of two people after rival groups supporting various candidates in the grassroots elections armed with pangas clashed in the latest wave of ODM party chaos leaving scores injured.

The camps clashed following the decision by the party to postpone indefinitely its elections in 17 constituencies in Nairobi because of complaints about unfairness and bias.

“We are concerned that the law enforcement agencies seem to have abdicated their responsibility of maintaining law and order as this happened in their presence,” ODM Executive Director Oduor Ong’wen said in a statement.

He said despite heavy presence of security officers manning the crowds, it was unfortunate that violence broke out.

It was reported that police officers sent to the scene fled after being overpowered by the rowdy crowds.

ODM Elections Secretary for Dandora Phase 4 and 5, Ababu Osii, said, “Two people died and their bodies are lying at the City Mortuary. Many others are admitted with deep panga cuts.”

– See more at: http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/two-killed-odm-dandora-poll-violence

Domestic help charged with assaulting boss

Photo source: ohsinc.com

A domestic worker has been charged with assaulting her employer.

The accused allegedly beat up her boss last Saturday in Kasarani before biting her hand, after an argument ensued when she refused to give her employer a glass of water. She denied the charges and the case will be heard in November.

Nyeri Women Frustrated By Their Husband’s Addiction To Alcohol

Maendeleo ya Wanaume chairman Nderitu Njoka (right) accesses the damage Simon Kiguta sustained in February last year after he was allegedly attacked by wife Juliah Wairimu in Nyeri. | image source: the-star.co.ke

Nyeri women have been forced to become violent towards their men owing to their husband’s excessive consumption of alcohol and abuse of other substance which have made them unable to satisfy their women sexually.

Speaking in Nairobi on Thursday during the launch of World Father’s report, African Women’s Development and Communication Network (FEMNET) Regional Associate Kennedy Otina said that Nyeri women become violent due to being frustrated by their men failing to rise up to their marital expectations.

“Married women are sexually starved and are living with “babies” because the drink has reduced men to zombies who can not perform their marital responsibilities,” Otina said.

“The drinking also affects the family’s economy when the man drinks all the income causing more suffering to the woman and children which aggravates the woman even more,” Otina further added.

Otina said young couples have no one to look up to and the only psychological support men have is the bars.

– See more at: http://the-star.co.ke/news/why-nyeri-women-beat-husbands-chop-their-transformers

Suspected Thug Killed By Accomplices After Disagreement On Loot Sharing

image source: wazua.co.ke

A suspected thug was killed by his accomplices in a disagreement over a loot in Nairobi’s Dandora area.

The suspects had allegedly stolen money from unknown place and ran into a room in the area on Monday night where they later disagreed before one of them was shot dead.

Police say the other accomplices managed to escape on foot and efforts to trace them are ongoing. No arrest has been made so far.

Fear, violence, kidnapping: life for women under Boko Haram

When Boko Haram attacks made life at home unbearable, Rebecca Samuel was confronted with a stark choice that any mother would struggle to make.

Her family had decided to leave the remote town of Chibok, northeast Nigeria, in March 2014 because of the persistent threats from the Islamist militants.

But Samuel decided that her 17-year-old daughter Sarah should stay back for an extra month to take her final secondary school exams.

On April 14, Boko Haram gunmen stormed Sarah’s school, kidnapping her and 275 of her classmates. Fifty-seven girls escaped, but the rest, including Sarah, have not been heard from since.

“Every day I am crying,” said Samuel, 36, who had been living with her family as refugees in neighbouring Cameroon before relocating to Nigeria’s capital, Abuja.

But while the Chibok abductions remain the most prominent attack of the six-year insurgency, they represent only a fraction of the atrocities inflicted on women and girls in the bitter conflict.

– War on women –

Human Rights Watch (HRW) last year estimated that the rebels had kidnapped more than 500 women and girls since 2009, including those seized from Chibok but the figure could be much higher.

Female hostages have been forced into marriage, raped and been made to work as domestic slaves for extremist fighters. Some recounted being deployed to carry ammunition on the front line.

Other women forced to run from attacks have trekked for days through the northeast’s harsh bushlands, sometimes with infants strapped to their backs.

And, in a new tactic widely reviled even by other jihadists, Boko Haram has over the last 10 months increasingly used females, including young girls, as human bombs in attacks across the north.

A 33-year-old woman was beaten to death on Sunday at a market in northern Bauchi state following suspicion that she had explosives strapped to her body.

HRW and other experts say the incidents of females and other “vulnerable groups” being targeted has risen dramatically since Boko Haram began facing increased military pressure in 2013.

Overall, the plight facing women in the rebels’ stronghold is “a picture of violence and intimidation”, Jacob Zenn and Elizabeth Pearson wrote in the US Journal of Terrorism Research.

– ‘Full of rage’ –

Hauwa Mohammed was one of 158 hostages released by Boko Haram on January 23, two weeks after their abduction from the village of Katarko, in northeast Yobe state.

“I was full of rage and hatred against (the Islamists),” said Mohammed, recounting her time in captivity.

She said her mind was fixated on what the captors might do to her three daughters, who were also kidnapped, as all the hostages faced pressure to swear allegiance to Boko Haram.

“How could I ever subscribe to this ideology that supports killing, wanton destruction, kidnap and rape?” Mohammed told AFP in an interview after her release.

She could not explain why the extremists chose to release the group but noted that countless others have been far less fortunate.

“I pray for all the women they are holding captive to be freed from the life of horror they are going through,” she said.

– Gender disparity –

The insurgency in northern Nigeria, which has killed more than 13,000 people since 2009, has also thrown the spotlight on the deeper societal crisis in the impoverished region, including grave gender disparities.

Roughly half of Nigeria’s 173 million people live in the predominantly Muslim north of the country.

Only three percent of females from the north complete secondary school, the British Council said in a 2012 report, which was researched before the insurgency crippled the region and forced school closures in parts of the northeast.

More than two-thirds of girls aged 15-19 were unable to read a sentence, compared to less than 10 percent in the mostly Christian south, according to the report.

Most observers agree that Nigeria not only needs to contain Boko Haram militarily but also implement an aggressive programme to kickstart development in the north and empower both and men and women to resist the militants’ radical, violent agenda.

For now, peace in northern Nigeria seems like a distant dream for Samuel, who often attends the daily marches in Abuja on behalf of the Chibok hostages, organised by the #BringBackOurGirls campaign.

Sarah spent her 18th birthday in December in captivity, possibly as a forced bride after Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau vowed to sell the Chibok hostages as “slaves” and to “marry them off”.

“It is difficult,” her mother said simply. “Only God can help us.”

Photo Credits : AFP

Embu CID Chief Summoned By Court Over Torture Claims By Suspect

Acting Embu Chief Magistrate Alfred Kibiru. | image source: the-star.co.ke

Embu West Constituency CID boss Abdul Nyaki has been summoned to appear before an Embu court after a robbery suspect complained of torture.

Antony Njeru, who was charged with violent robbery and possessing bhang, claimed CID officers had threatened to kill him.

He told acting Chief Magistrate Alfred Kibiru that he is also sick but the officers do not want to take him to hospital as they want him dead.

Njeru said the officers had even threatened to harm a person who had offered to pay bond for him so that he is not released.

He said the charges against him were fabricated.

“I have never stolen anything, but these people want to kill me. They don’t want to take me to hospital yet I’m sick,” Njeru said.

Prosecutor Bernard Wanyoike said he was not aware of the threats and he was hearing about them for the first time at the court.

Kibiru directed that Nyaki appear before him over the allegations against his officers.

The case will be heard on March 3.

The STAR

Serbian & Albanian FAs charged by Uefa over abandoned qualifier

The Serbian and Albanian football associations have been charged by Uefa after violent incidents caused their Euro 2016 qualifier to be abandoned.

Players and fans clashed in Belgrade after a flag with a political message was flown into the stadium by a drone. Albania are charged with “refusing to play” and the “display of an illicit banner”, while Serbia face five charges related to Tuesday’s crowd trouble. Uefa’s Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body will hear the case on 23 October.

Albania captain Lorik Cana was reported as telling Albanian television that his team had not been in the “right psychological or physical state to continue playing” after the clashes.

The Serbian FA (FSS) is charged with insufficient organisation, crowd disturbance, setting off/throwing of fireworks and missiles, field invasion by supporters and the use of a laser pointer.

However, in a statement released earlier on Wednesday, the FSS accused its Albanian counterpart of being part of a political plot “whose sole aim was to force the game to be abandoned”.

“The incident itself and the behaviour of the Albanian players, coach and staff leaves no room for doubt that they were part of a synchronised plan to stop the match,” the statement read.

“For the truth and justice we will not and do not want to allow the perpetrators who violated football to present themselves as victims.”

That Albanian fans had been banned from attending the qualifier between the Balkan rivals was the latest incident in the history of turbulent relations between the nations.

Much of the conflict relates to the former Serbian province of Kosovo, which declared independence in 2008 and has a mainly Albanian population.

It has been recognised by the United States and major European Union countries, but Serbia refuses to do so, as do most ethnic Serbs inside Kosovo.

Full story:http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29627246